Hold-up victim calls on authorities to ‘assume their responsibilities’

The victim of a botched hold-up by a recently bailed and renowned dangerous criminal, has called on the authorities to “assume their responsibilities” for having failed to protect him, his family and his neighborhood from such a high risk.

In comments to MaltaToday, a few hours after his ordeal when he was hit in the face by three armed assailants as he entered his home in Old Railway Road in Attard on Friday night, Jeweller Michael Mizzi, 52 voiced his anger at what he defined as the “total collapse” of the judicial system.

“Why should I, a law abiding citizen be left exposed to such a high risk criminal? Who is taking such ridiculous decisions?” Mizzi asked, stopping short of replying to the direct question whether he was demanding the resignation of Home Affairs and Justice Minister Carm Mifsud Bonnici or Magistrate Edwin Grima who granted bail to one of the identified assailants.

“I am not going to point my fingers towards anybody in particular, but somebody must shoulder the responsibility because this is proof of a clear mess in our country’s judicial system,” he said.

Visibly shaken and bruised in the face, Michael Mizzi together with his family returned to work yesterday morning, and coped with a continuous show of solidarity by friends who stopped to wish them well.

Known criminal Darren Debono, 33 from Marsascala, known as ‘it-Topo’ was yesterday recovering after surgery to his right thigh after being shot by his own gun when he was confronted by the jeweller’s son during the attempted hold-up.

He had been recently bailed by Magistrate Edwina Grima who defied all police recommendations who described both Debono and an accomplice – 48 year-old Vince Muscat – as “dangerous to society” after facing 18 charges each relating to the dramatic shootout outside the HSBC Bank headquarters in Qormi on June 30.

More than 60 shots were fired at the police who foiled the hold-up that day, and Darren Debono was injured by a bullet in his jaw by a police officer who returned fire.

He was caught the day after, when it was discovered that he sought medical help in a private clinic saying that he had a metal splinter lodged in his jaw.

MaltaToday had raised the alarm on October 20, when Magistrate Edwina Grima had granted bail to Vince Muscat on the basis that his daughter had provided a home for him, when he had no fixed address to reside in.

Contacted that day, Police Commissioner John Rizzo expressed his dismay at the decision, while the Justice and Home Affairs Ministry and the Attorney General had no idea that bail was even granted to the suspect.

Muscat was remanded in custody after Judge David Sciculna upheld an urgent appeal by the Attorney General who request that bail be immediately revoked.

Another appeal by Muscat to be granted bail was revoked two weeks later by Judge Scicluna, and surprisingly granted bail together with Darren Debono three weeks ago by Magistrate Edwina Grima against a €5,000 deposit.

Police were outraged at the decision, to the extent that tensions were evident between the police force and the judiciary over the “easy granting” of bail to dangerous criminals.

When police officers arrived in Old Railway Road in Attard on Friday night, they were shocked to discover that the man behind the balaclava was Darren Debono.

He lay on the ground screaming in pain as this right thigh was visibly bleeding and swollen to the size of a football as paramedics removed his trousers to administer first aid.

Neighbors applauded the police as they escorted the criminal away in an ambulance, some of them loudly remarking their shame at the courts for having granted him bail.

In his comments to MaltaToday, Michael Mizzi said that he still cannot believe that he was attacked by the same suspect involved in the HSBC hold-up.

“When I had heard about the HSBC hold-up  I was shocked at the ferocity of such criminals who have no shame in shooting at the police in the way they did, and now I find myself a victim of the same shooter!”  Mizzi said adding how difficult it is for him to find peace with himself, as things could have turned out to be much worse for him and his family.

Mizzi had just arrived home with his car at 8.30pm and was walking through jis drive when three men assaulted him, hitting him on the head with the handle of a gun.

While they demanded he lets go of a brief case he was holding, Michael Mizzi’s son Silvio had just parked his car just a few metres behind the house and noticed the commotion, ran up the drive way and pounced on the aggressors.

He only noticed the gun in flash while he was twisting the arm of one of the hooded assailants when at least two shots rang out.

The assailant fell to the ground in pain while his other two accomplices ran off with a van that was later found burnt in Ta’ Qali.

“Silvio could have died because these criminals stop at nothing, but he didn’t stop them they would have proceeded into the house perhaps killing me and my wife too,” Mizzi said, still angry at the fact that he was assaulted by a criminal who is supposed to be in prison.

He thanked the police for all their help and expressed gratitude for their efforts to keep such criminals away from society, and expressed sympathy towards them when such criminals are put back out on the street.

avatar
To all the Judiciary ....what about il-qorti tal-familja...sending honest men to jail , this happens every week, better make a bank robbery , you have more chance to bail out...KUMIDJANTI !!!!!
avatar
Quote "Another appeal by Muscat to be granted bail was revoked two weeks later by Judge Scicluna, and surprisingly granted bail together with Darren Debono three weeks ago by Magistrate Edwina Grima "...... Unquote. The People of Malta, represented by the Justice Minister, are asking for answers as to the why of such behaviour from Magistrate Edwina Grima. Remember, "Not only must Justice be done; it must also be seen to be done." We are waiting and will not abe alienated.
avatar
...." the Justice and Home Affairs Ministry and the Attorney General had no idea that bail was even granted to the suspect" I am trying very hard not to throw up!!! Boqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
avatar
bob
As I already wrote to the Prime Minister IS THERE GOING TO BE A REAL INVESIGATION AGAINST THE PEOPLE I MENTIONED YESTERDAY ON MALTATODAY ABOUT THE SAME SUBJECT? So I ask again, this time to the Minister for Justice, the Chief of Justice and the Commissioner of Police are you going to investigate how come a magistrate HAS BEEN PERSECUTING ME FOR THE PAST YEARS? And WHY? Is there something hidden then meets the eye? For example how come the policeman in charge of Vat. Dept and the magistrate’s segretaries involved in my case were more INTERESTED that I should contact a certain person in the Vat Dept.? IF THEY WANT NAMES I AM READY TO GIVE THEM UNDER OATH AND MADE PUBLIC!! The people I mentioned above were informed that I COULD NOT ATTEND COURT for health reasons. SO I ASK AGAIN.. WHY THIS CERTAIN MAGISTRATE IS PERSECUTING ME, NOW CONVERTING THE FINE (FOR NOT APPEARING IN COURT) INTO JAIL? DOES SHE HAS A HIDDEN AGENDA?? As I wrote to the Prime Minister I had enough and no I DO NOT HAVE TO APOLIGIZE TO ANYONE!! Also I wrote yesterday I have no criminal record. Or is it that it’s better to be a “Criminal” to be more respected? No wonder us common people are angry with what happened to the Mizzi’s family and others!!!! Now I hope I wont be targeted!!!
avatar
Thorn states that “Honest citizens need protection not only from criminals but also from the Judiciary and the way "only in Malta" justice and sentences is being dished out ! Even Magistrates should be made accountable for sentences given, no one should be above the law especially with he recent history of Chief Justices accepting bribes!’ These statements really hit the nail on the head. It is astounding how the Prim Minister, the Minister for Justice and the Chief Justice condone the stark abusive performance of a few members of the magistracy! Apart from the outrageousness referred to above, I must refer to another incident denoting the “total collapse” of the judicial system, which Mr. Michael Mizzi is reported to have proclaimed in the first paragraph of this article. Recently I was shown, clear, precise and incontrovertible evidence that a Magistrate committed perjury, which entails the willful giving of false testimony under oath before a competent tribunal or commission upon a point material to a legal inquiry. The commission in this instance was made up of the Chief Justice (not the present incumbent), a retired Judge and a senior Magistrate. It looks as if this particular proverbial ‘pig’, was more equal than others, as nothing resulted from this serious criminal behaviour! SHAME!!! These two incidents are clear indicators of the direly confused and misdirected administration of Justice in our islands. Dear Hon. Prime Minister and Hon. Minister for Justice, preaching does not carry any weight; the people demand action about this serious collapse of responsibility!
avatar
Your correspondent Karl Stagon-Navarra has once again written that Darren Debono it-Topo is from Marsascala. He is not. He may be "currently residing in Marsascala," temporarily we hope before he moves on to a place with lots of bars (excuse the pun) if found guilty. By the same reasoning, if a celebrity such as Brad Pitt, would your journalist write, "Brad Pitt, 46, from Marsascala and his wife Angelina Jolie, 35 , also from Marsascala." Of course he wouldn't.
avatar
Alfred Galea
@ Laser.......you are right on. There is no way on God's earth why this guy was out on bail again AFTER A JUDGE REVOKED HIS BAIL THE FIRST TIME. The Chief Justice should investigate as to why bail was again granted to this guy.
avatar
Mag Edwina grima should resign!!! shame on you to let lose such animals!!! I would put her in jail too... who is on top of our magistrates?? Are these demi gods or what? Who do you think you are???!!! If I am the Justice Minister I would chuck out Magistrates who take such decisions.this is serious!!!
avatar
It is becoming quite attractive to become a criminal these days in Malta...we have nice Magistrates, nice Ministers..why should I fear to go in prison for something if people who shoot to kill and rob banks and stuff are set free? I need some money... oh let's go an rob a bank..its easy! Malta tal Mickey mouse as usual... and they say Malta is safe to live...not anymore.. guess London, Paris, or even New York is safer!!!
avatar
For many years now the job of magistrate or judge has not been attractive for legal luminaries. The appointees have been, as a rule , partially employed lawyers who never had the potential to really make the grade. The main criterion for appointment has been allegiance to the political party in power. The results of this state of affairs, sometimes tragic, can be seen by all. However this is Malta and no one will ever be accountable, take responsibility or resign. The only ones to suffer the consequences of gross errors of judgement will always be innocent, law-abiding citizens. The nauseating political rhetoric about improving our lives is simply a matter of plus ca change.
avatar
What a Country. Is this what i pay for? Incompetetent lawyers and even worse magistrates?
avatar
vincent carbonaro
@il-manina How do you spell circus again? I'm surprised you got the captcha question right.
avatar
charlene cassar
some rubbish must never be left outside but kept under inside under lock and key...
avatar
Paul Sammut
There is one and only one fundamental law. One is accountable for one's own deeds. The law applies to you, me, magistrate, criminal, one and all. But then, perhaps not in Micky Mouse Republic.
avatar
I'm sorry to note. We have no law courts. Instead we have a circuis!! Are you in the wrong...................go to our circuis!!
avatar
Raymond Falzon
Give the people the right to bear arms to defend themselves against scum.
avatar
Luke Camilleri
I am in total agreement! Honest citizens need protection not only from criminals but also from the Judiciary and the way "only in Malta" justice and sentences is being dished out ! Even Magistrates whould be made accountable for senntences given, no one should be above the law especially with he recent history ofChief Justices accepting bribes! The Public needs protection from such scum!